Dominion Energy's Veteran Resource Group
If you’ve attended an NC4ME Forum or Summit in the past, you’ve likely heard us talk about the importance of implementing an Employee Resource Group, or ERG, within your organization. But what exactly is an ERG and how do you implement one?
We’ve partnered with Dominion Energy for an inside look at their Veteran ERG and their tips on how to start one in your company.
What is an “Employee Resource Group”?
Employee Resource Groups (ERG) are groups of employees who join together in their workplace based on shared characteristics and experiences. ERGs are generally based on providing support, enhancing career development, and contributing to personal development in the work environment. ERG’s specific for Veterans are often a great way to increase Veteran retention within your organization.
- Our Mission: To build on the company’s efforts to attract and develop those who have served in the Armed Forces and provide support to the military, veterans and their families in our communities.
- Our Strategy: The Dominion Energy Veterans Resource Group (DEVRG) has three strategic focus areas: Business, Employee and Community.
- Business Focus: Support the company’s efforts to attract, recruit and integrate veterans.
- Employee Focus: Engage, develop, and retain veteran employees.
- Community Focus: Engage in activities that support established veteran organizations in our communities.
- Active Chapters: Virginia, Connecticut, Ohio, South Carolina, Utah, West Virginia, although our VRG provides support across our entire 16 state footprint.
Tips to Creating a Successful VRG
- Identify employees who have a sincere interest in and passion for starting, leading and executing an employee resource group.
- Identify a leader or two who have the same sincere interest and passion to help sponsor and champion the group’s efforts.
- Be an advocate for and champion of diversity and inclusion initiatives and be able to confidently model these behaviors.
- Document business objectives, focus areas, and leadership structure for the employee resource group that align with the company’s business strategy and needs.
- Keep your activities manageable, leverage existing partnerships and relationships, and find opportunities early successes on which the group may build.
A military podcast by Dominion Energy
Other Ways Dominion Energy Serves the Veteran Community
100 Homes for 100 Vets
In partnership with the Department of Veteran Services, Dominion Energy committed to providing energy efficiency improvements to at least 100 homes for 100 veterans who live in Virginia and are being served by Dominion Energy.
We’ve spearheaded initiatives to support veterans and their families, including: installing access ramps, supporting wounded warriors, and weatherizing homes.
Between 2015 and 2019, we provided bill assistance to over 5,200 veterans.
Dominion Energy Charity Classic
This PGA TOUR Champions playoff event has generated more than $3.5 million for charity since inception in 2016, with tournament proceeds going to veterans charities. The Charity Classic has become the largest single fundraising event in the Richmond region.
Federal Energy Solutions
Our mission-critical service to help federal agencies meet energy-related goals has resulted in an Award for Excellence and recognition by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for outstanding performance.